Jackson & Polk is a great place to find delicate jewelry, pretty soaps, and soft t-shirts, but did you know that we also carry a pretty impressive collection of unique books? Like you, we're readers, learners, dreamers, thinkers & writers. Narrowing down the long list of delightful books was no easy task, but here are our top five customer favorites. So curl up on your couch and get reading (and laughing, and reminiscing, and even coloring)!
1. Secret Garden: An Inky Treasure Hunt and Coloring Book. ($15.95) This beautiful and interactive coloring book features delicate and highly detailed pen-and-ink illustrations—all waiting to be brought to life with color. As added entertainment, tiny garden creatures are hidden on the pages, waiting to be found, and a key and index are included in the back. The book's cover and jacket are also colorable.
2. F in Exams: The Very Best Totally Wrong Test Answers. ($9.95)"F" stands for "funny" in this perfect gift for students or anyone who has ever had to struggle through a test and needs a good laugh. Celebrating the creative side of failure in a way we can all relate to, F in Exams gathers the most hilarious and inventive test answers provided by students who, faced with a question they have no hope of getting right, decide to have a little fun instead. Whether in science (Q: What is the highest frequency noise that a human can register? A: Mariah Carey), the humanities (Q: What did Mahatma Gandhi and Genghis Khan have in common? A: Unusual names), math, or other subjects, these 250 entries prove that while everyone enjoys the spectacle of failure, it's even sweeter to see a FAIL turn into a WIN.
3. Lost San Francisco. ($18.95) Looks at how a city used to run—the old transport systems, former city halls, stores, theaters and cinemas, gas stations and car showrooms, restaurants, and people on the sidewalk.
Aspects of lost San Francisco that are examined here include the Victorian Alcatraz, Cliff House Hotel before it burned down, the early Embarcadero, the devastation of the 1906 earthquake, horse-drawn streetcars, the grandeur of the Sutro Baths both outside and in, the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition buildings, the changes made to combat a possible Japanese invasion during World War II, and some of the key hippie stores on Haight-Ashbury before the area became more upscale.
4. Stuff Every Man Should Know. ($9.95) This pocket-sized companion features everything a man should know (but probably doesn’t)
• How to Cast a Fishing Rod
• How to Make the Perfect Martini
• How to Negotiate a Raise
• Five Pick-Up Lines in Five Different Languages
• How to bet on Horses
• How to Give a Great Massage
Plus wardrobe tips, advice on car maintenance, jokes for every occasion, fitness exercises, grilling instructions, and much, much, more!
5. Unplug Every Day: 365 Ways to Log Off and Live Better. ($14.95) This inspiring journal offers 365 achievable ways to take small breaks from technology with simple suggestions that encourage journalers to unplug from electronics and appreciate their surroundings. With a year's worth of digital-detox prompts, it also offers readers time to reflect on the power of unplugging.